[Dovecot] Count breaks socket

Uldis Pakuls neko at it4u.lv
Sat Jan 26 18:56:48 EET 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 06:59 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> If I use the socket option I can't use the count option to create more
>> authentication processes. I get this error. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> dovecot: Jan 25 06:57:04 Error: auth(default): Socket already exists:
>> /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
>>

> Right. This is kind of a design problem which isn't that easy to fix
> (until v2.0). Do you really need more than count=1? I don't think
> there's any benefit in having count (much) larger than the number of
> CPUs in the system, and a count=1 can handle thousands of
> connections/sec on my system.

There is situations when more than one socket is needed: for chrooted
processes.

About year ago I did a lots of tests with different chroot setups
(internal chroot/external chrooting).  About 10 bugs in dovecot was
discovered... most of of them are fixed now. [see old post by me; thanks
Timo:))] But final conclusion was - Dovecot currently isn't designed for
use in chroot setups. Also "mail_chroot": setting brings up more
problems than benefits (unable to use external binaries (sendmail) for
bounce messages, plugins don't work as expected etc.).

Uldis