[Dovecot] Messages not moved from Inbox by Apple Mail (Dovecot 1.0.10)

Tom Collins tom at tomlogic.com
Mon Jan 28 19:22:26 EET 2008

I just upgraded a server from Courier-IMAP to Dovecot, and I'm seeing
some odd behavior.  It's probably the result of something I did wrong
in my configuration, and I'm hoping someone will let me know the easy
fix for it.

I have rules set up in Apple Mail to move and copy messages to
different folders, some of which are IMAP folders, others on my own
system.  With Courier-IMAP, the messages would get moved without a
problem.  With dovecot, that's not happening.

Here's my dovecot config.  I've tried changing
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks and maildir_copy_preserve_filename to
"no", but that didn't seem to help.

# 1.0.10: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 89
last_valid_uid: 89
first_valid_gid: 89
last_valid_gid: 89
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks: yes
maildir_copy_preserve_filename: yes
namespace:
   type: private
   prefix: INBOX.
   inbox: yes
auth default:
   mechanisms: plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
   username_chars:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@%
   username_translation: %@
   passdb:
     driver: vpopmail
   userdb:
     driver: vpopmail
plugin:
   quota: maildir

I haven't tried logging the IMAP session yet, but I can turn off SSL,
fire up Wireshark and monitor the session if necessary.

Is this a known problem?  I'm able to move messages between folders
manually, but when Apple Mail moves the new messages it doesn't work.

Tom Collins  -  tom at tomlogic.com
Vpopmail - virtual domains for qmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/
QmailAdmin - web interface for Vpopmail: http://qmailadmin.sf.net/