[Dovecot] Convert MBOX

adsarebad at gmail.com adsarebad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 03:03:16 EET 2008

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Erin D. Hughes wrote:
>
>> Evaggelos Balaskas wrote:
>>> to avoid such problems i simple create a new user with
>>> userdb_mail=maildir and using thunderbird i just copied the emails
>>> from one account to other :)
>>>

>> Thanks Evaggelos for your reply unfortunately I need to convert about
>> 17,000 mboxes to maildirs. Re-reading my last mail I see that maybe I
>> was not so clear.
>
> I have used mb2md to good success, albeit not on so many.
>
> -- Asheesh.

    When I was switching over a bunch of mboxes from Thunderbird mb2md
did not work out.  I forget what went wrong though.  I had problems
because Thunderbird stores its mail in a non-standard mbox way.  I ended
up deleting some things and using dovecots convert-tool.  The convert
tool is not in debian etch so I had to use one of my home computers with
a newer dovecot.  Then I just ran "convert-tool user /home/gokee2
mbox:/mnt/files/email/nochange/ maildir:/mnt/files/email/dovecot/a/" to
change the mboxs over to maildir.

Good luck!

Gokee2