[Dovecot] Convert MBOX

Scott Alter scott at symphonyhosting.com
Thu Jan 31 03:39:29 EET 2008

Erin D. Hughes wrote:
> I would like to rsync all of the old mail boxes to one directory on my
> new system.  Then tell dovecot that this is the location of old mbox
> file, when the user logs in for the first time convert/copy their old
> mbox to their existing mail dir on the new.  Finally copy the old mbox
> file to some thing like mbox-convert so it is not converted again.
>
> I have tried a number of different combinations but am still failing
> to get the mail/{cur,new,tmp} created in the correct user directory
> with actual mail in them.

Have you tried using a different path for the mail_location (aka
default_mail_env)?  I'd think that trying to convert from mbox:%h/mail/
to maildir:%h/mail/ would cause major problems, including the the 3
errors you received ("Mailbox conversion: Couldn't copy mailbox
dovecot.index: BUG: Unknown internal error").  Also, the convert plugin
should automatically rename the old mbox folder to "~/mail-converted"
after it is done.

Try using these settings:
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
convert_mail = mbox:%h/mail/:INBOX=/usr/local/src/tmpmail/%u

Scott Alter