[Dovecot] Static list of users with passdb pam

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 31 16:33:54 EET 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 11:48 +0100, Koen Vermeer wrote:
> While this solution works fine for imap purposes, I cannot get this to
> work the way I want with postfix and deliver. What I would like to have
> is that if a message is sent to a non-existing user, it gets rejected.
> Instead, I can see in the logs that deliver notices that the mailbox
> doesn't exist (msgid=<1201601833.5315.23.camel at localhost>: Couldn't open
> mailbox {}: Mailbox doesn't exist: {}), but it also reports that it
> delivered it to the INBOX (msgid=<1201601833.5315.23.camel at localhost>:
> saved mail to INBOX) and postfix reports 'status=sent (delivered via
> dovecot service). I tried several other options (without '-e' the
> dovecot line in master.cf - same result; without allow_all_users=yes -
> dovecot-auth complains that: passdb doesn't support lookups, can't
> verify user's existence).

Either verify the user's existence in Postfix (I don't really know how,
more of a postfix-users list question), or use something else than
passdb pam + userdb static. There's just no way to ask from PAM if a
user exists or not, and userdb static gives the same values for everyone
so it can't verify users' existence either.