[Dovecot] v1.1.rc8 released

Anders mail at flac.kalibalik.dk
Wed Jun 4 13:09:44 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 11:37 +0200, Anders wrote:
>> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>
>> > 	+ deliver: Added -c parameter to provide path to delivered mail.
>> > 	  This allows maildir to save identical mails to multiple recipients
>> > 	  using hard links.

[...]

>> Also, the W=nnnn size thing is not added to filenames when using -p.
>
> And cache isn't updated either. These are because hard linking can be
> done without actually reading the mail contents. I won't fix this for
> v1.1, but I updated the documentation.
>
> I'm not sure what the best final solution to this is though. There could
> of course be a special deliver-check when the reading is done, but COPY
> command has the same problem. Should it read the files or not? If the
> file contents are already in memory it would be a good idea to read them
> and update cache, but otherwise not. I guess mincore() is the only
> potential way to check that, but mmaping the file only to check that is
> probably more trouble than worth.

For the delivery case, the mail will obviously be in memory, as we have
just written it to a temporary file. Is it more than a few lines of code
to add an index update to deliver.c after the hardlink? I might want to
have that as a local patch.

As an alternative, can I call something from my wrapper script to have the
index updated after delivery? I guess this will be impossible in the
general case, as there is no way to know where Sieve decided to put the
mail.

I am not sure how important the update is in our case, anyway. Most people
have the MUA open all day, and I guess a client in IDLE will fetch the
headers and have the index updated immediately, right?

Regards,
Anders.