[Dovecot] Mutually exclusive Exim setup instructions

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jun 12 02:27:48 EEST 2008

on 6-11-2008 4:10 PM cam at ellisonpsychology.ca spake the following:
>> The correct way has to be one or the other:
>>

>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Exim
>>
>> are mutually exclusive with
>>
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/DebianStable
>>
>> It appears that exim can either call dovecot's LDA or make the delivery
>> itself.  There may
>> be good reasons to do it one way or the other.
>
> Sorry to be diving into this issue so late, but I just noticed this email.
>  You may be able to answer a question I have.  At the moment, I use Exim
> and Dovecot, and have things set up to use imapd, using Dovecot as the
> LDA.  It worked fine for a while, but with upgrades I am now unable to
> send email out using Thunderbird (for example - this applies to KMail and
> Sylpheed as well).  Exim treats it as a relay, and bans it.  Curiously,
> using these from another machine works fine.  Also fine is sending mail
> internally, from a cron job for example, or to external addresses from my
> website.
>
> It seems that the router setting in Exim is the problem, and the better
> solution is to use Exim as the LDA, but if one does not use Dovecot as the
> LDA, what's the point of having it?  I installed it originally to be able
> to use Squirrelmail when I'm on the road.  Now I'm using it all the time.
>
> What am I missing here?

Dovecot is not just an LDA, it also serves POP3(S) and IMAP(S) services.. The
benefit of using dovecot for the LDA is to keep the indexes and other files
updated. I am using dovecot on CentOS, with procmail as the LDA, and
everything still works fine.
But you can only have one LDA ( or at least should only use one), so those
docs would be mutually exclusive.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and