[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.1rc9 strange messages

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 13 01:57:45 EEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:37 -0300, Raphael Bittencourt S. Costa wrote:
> Helo all,
>
> I'm working on a migration from qmail+courier+maildrop to postfix
> +dovecot1.1+lda and today the logs has too many strange messages like
> this:
>
> Jun 12 10:51:22 mailserver03 dovecot: IMAP(xxxxl at xxxx.com.br): Broken
> file /data/services/dominios/xx.com.br/m/ma/mapel//Maildir/.Sent/dovecot-uidlist line 29: UID larger than next_uid (535 >= 535)
> Jun 12 10:51:26 mailserver03 dovecot: POP3(xxxx at xxxxx.com.br): Broken
> file /data/services/dominios/bx.com.br/n/no/nordeste//Maildir/dovecot-uidlist line 2: UID larger than next_uid (12 >= 12)
>
> Should I worry about this? Why dovecot-uidlist is getting broken?

There's no Dovecot v1.0 used anywhere? How did you get these
dovecot-uidlist files created? Did you use a Courier migration script or
rename them manually?

These error messages can happen only when Dovecot reads version 1 format
of the dovecot-uidlist file. This format is created by Dovecot v1.0 and
Courier. After Dovecot v1.1 has updated the file it's in version 3
format and this error message can't happen anymore.

So apparently some versions of Courier can also update the
courierimapuiddb by appending new entries instead of rewriting the file
and updating the next-uid field in the header line? What Courier version
were you using before?