[Dovecot] 9GB of messages in /tmp

Uldis Pakuls neko at it4u.lv
Fri Jun 13 17:09:29 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 15:08 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Well, I have a brain-dead user (using Thunderbird 2.0.0.14) who just
>> won't listen when I tell them not to try to move 5000+ messages at one
>> time (or if deleting, bypass the Trash), and they managed to royally
>> screw up their maildirs...
>>

> maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes should help a lot with this.
>

>> I have two problems...
>>
>> 1. The /tmp directory has 9+GB in it... can I just rm tmp/* on that
>> directory without making this problem worse?
>>

> Only part of Dovecot that writes to /tmp is deliver, and it keeps the
> files there probably less than a microsecond (create file + unlink
> immediately).

Same situation with dovecot - I tired to delete ~ 120 000 messages form
"catch-all-possible-spam" mailbox using Thunderbird.  Filter out
messages older than  7 days was successfully. Thunderbird failed to
delete them (locked up)... i got salted imap process,  locked
dovecot-uidlist  file (dovecot-uidlist.lock) in maildir with /tmp full
of new spam... as it continue to arrive (frquncy is aubout 2-3 messages
per sec, server hosts ~500 domains.).
dovecot v 1.0.12

Uldis