[Dovecot] dovecot as gmail imap proxy

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Wed Jun 18 14:59:38 EEST 2008

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Farkas Levente wrote:
>
>> hi,
>> may be this is a bit of topic, but i hope not. it's always a big
>> question which is the better to choose a hosting provider to keep and
>> manage you mail or setup your own mail server, hosting, virus and spam
>> filter etc.. now as more and more people and company move to gmail or
>> google apps mail service it seems google can't handle the load and
>> it's getting more and more slower. what's more not just the imap
>> interface but nowadays the web interface used to be hang or even stop
>> working. it's getting more and more annoying that the speed is worst
>> than in a 10 years ago. i thing about how can this be solved without
>> totally give up gmail as a mail service provider (and may be they can
>> solve it in a few months/years:-).
>> would it be possible to create a dovecot server as an imap proxy for
>> gmail and google apps?
>
> What I have is:
>
> * rose, my primary server (but far away)
> * supercore, another server at my parents' house
>
> rose is the primary MX.
>
> I run offlineimap on supercore to sync a local Maildir on supercore with
> rose's IMAP - that way, my parents can use a server with <1ms ping, and
> as they use Dovecot to modify the local Maildir on supercore, a minute
> later offlineimap will wake up and create IMAP operations to synchronize
> rose with the state on supercore.

i'm just look into offlineimap. half of the code for ui, another part to
implement maildir and imap. so it seems for me there is only a little
code which do the synchronization.
Timo what do you think how much work would be add such a middleware imap
server capabilities (ie. imap backend) to dovecot?