[Dovecot] Time moved backwards by 4398 seconds

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Jun 20 18:35:53 EEST 2008

At 11:10 AM +0200 6/20/08, Anders wrote:
>Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> writes:
>
>>  On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 10:53 +0200, Anders wrote:
>>>
>>>  I was puzzled that it was always 4398 seconds, in particular because
>>>  this server runs an NTP daemon. A little searching for this problem
>>>  shows that it is an issue with the Linux kernel gettimeofday(), see
>>>  e.g. http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/23/96
>>
>>  The thread puts it down to buggy hardware and puts a workaround into the
>>  kernel where it belongs, not in dovecot.

I think it is more accurate to say "hardware being used for a purpose
its designers did not intend" instead. Using the TSC as a clock has
been iffy for quite some time, and defaulting to it in the kernel is
a risky design choice and must be implemented with extreme caution.
It's not that the hardware is buggy,but rather that it does things by
design that are not obvious from a high-level description.

>That's not helpful.
>
>By that line, the entire "time moved backwards" thing does not belong
>in Dovecot.

I suspect that you don't understand why that is in Dovecot. Timo has
explained it in detail a few times, but the bottom line is simple:
running through the same system-clock time more than once induces a
very real risk of destroying mail.

>Anyway, I was not proposing the patch to be included, just asking for
>advice as to whether it would be safe. I even noted that it was ugly.

"Safe" is subjective.
I think it would be safer (at the cost of a bounded amount of time)
to nanosleep or maybe usleep once and retry the call rather than to
go into the loop.

>As I am already compiling Dovecot myself, I prefer a patch there,
>rather than diverting from the distribution kernel.

You might even be better off configuring your system to not use the
TSC as a clock source. There's a strong chance that you won't really
be sacrificing anything that you actually use.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com