[Dovecot] Time moved backwards by 4398 seconds

Anders mail at flac.kalibalik.dk
Sat Jun 21 01:04:10 EEST 2008

Bill Cole wrote:
> At 11:10 AM +0200 6/20/08, Anders wrote:

>>By that line, the entire "time moved backwards" thing does not belong
>>in Dovecot.
>
> I suspect that you don't understand why that is in Dovecot. Timo has
> explained it in detail a few times, but the bottom line is simple:
> running through the same system-clock time more than once induces a
> very real risk of destroying mail.

... and running through the same system clock twice is exactly what you
will do if you fail to detect a temporary forward jump of 1.2 hours when
it happens.

I might follow your advice of "notsc", it makes me a bit uncomfortable
that gettimeofday() can fail for other applications as well.

Cheers,
Anders.