[Dovecot] 1.1 namespaces and message corruption

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Fri Jun 27 22:48:59 EEST 2008

Hello,

I've been trying out the new dovecot's namespace support, and I'm
having some issues moving messages between namespaces. Specifically,
when I move some messages from a Maildir-based namespace to an
mbox-based namespace, the message gets corrupted: its contents are
removed, and an entirely empty message is added to the destination
mailbox. This is 100% repeatable (some messages just *cannot* be
copied intact).

I have two namespaces, set up like so:

     namespace private { # Default
         separator = .
         hidden = no
         inbox = yes
         prefix =
         location = maildir:%h/Maildir
     }
     namespace private {
         separator = .
         hidden = no
         prefix = "INBOX.ArchiveTest."
         location = mbox:%h/Maildir/Archive
     }

All I do is tell my client (mutt) to copy a message from a folder in
the maildir namespace into a folder in the mbox namespace.

Does anyone know what might be going wrong or how I can even debug
this? No error messages of any kind are showing up in the dovecot log
file, and the mail_debug setting doesn't seem to give me any useful
information.

Message corruption of this sort worries me...

~Kyle
--
To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.
                                                     -- Abraham Lincoln