[Dovecot] v1.1.rc1 released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 4 13:31:12 EET 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

>>> Hello Timo!
>>> Looks like that mbox index handling still doesn't work with deliver:
>>> 1.) 1s mail delivered: Only dovecot.index.log is generated.
>>
>> This is correct. dovecot.index doesn't need to be created/updated
>> always, and dovecot.index.cache isn't created because there's
>> nothing that's known wanted to be cached.
>
> Hmmm. But shouldn't this be a feature of 1.1 that deliver updates
> indexes at deliver time? (maybe you can choose the typical indexes
> the clients use).

Updating dovecot.index.log is enough. v1.0 unneededly wastes disk I/O
writing to dovecot.index way too often.

>> 1. deliver the first mail
>> 2. open the mailbox
>> 3. deliver lots of large mails
>> 4. open the mailbox again
>>
>> It should be fast. (and I just tested - it is)
>
> Yes, that's exactly the testcase I use. But here it is slow (opening
> is always done with doevecot 1.0.latest/alpine 1.00 and deliver is
> done with 1.1.rc1). I use large files to see a time I see on the
> first look on opening.

Check with v1.1's idxview what the index file contains after steps 2,
3 and 4. After step 2 it should contain for the first message all the
cached fields that client needs. Between 3 and 4 steps there should be
no changes, and the cache fields should be exactly the same with the
same decision rules as with step 2.