[Dovecot] v1.1.rc1 released

Gerhard Wiesinger lists at wiesinger.com
Fri Mar 7 08:56:10 EET 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> This is correct. dovecot.index doesn't need to be created/updated always,
>>> and dovecot.index.cache isn't created because there's nothing that's known
>>> wanted to be cached.
>>
>> Hmmm. But shouldn't this be a feature of 1.1 that deliver updates indexes
>> at deliver time? (maybe you can choose the typical indexes the clients
>> use).
>
> Updating dovecot.index.log is enough. v1.0 unneededly wastes disk I/O writing
> to dovecot.index way too often.

I don't think this is wasted disk I/O updating indexes as soon as
possible. When the mailbox (mbox) is read afterwards on large mboxes there
is much more waste in reading large files.

e.g. When deliver would write e.g. 3 mails with 40 MB:
1.) with indexes
write large mailbox
update small index

reopen:
only read small index

2.) without indexes
write large mailbox

reopen:
read large mailbox
update small index

So case 1 with indexes is IHMO in total more efficient.

>>> 1. deliver the first mail
>>> 2. open the mailbox
>>> 3. deliver lots of large mails
>>> 4. open the mailbox again
>>>
>>> It should be fast. (and I just tested - it is)
>>
>> Yes, that's exactly the testcase I use. But here it is slow (opening is
>> always done with doevecot 1.0.latest/alpine 1.00 and deliver is done with
>> 1.1.rc1). I use large files to see a time I see on the first look on
>> opening.
>
> Check with v1.1's idxview what the index file contains after steps 2, 3 and
> 4. After step 2 it should contain for the first message all the cached fields
> that client needs. Between 3 and 4 steps there should be no changes, and the
> cache fields should be exactly the same with the same decision rules as with
> step 2.

I will check that.

Ciao,
Gerhard