[Dovecot] Effects of migration

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 6 06:56:57 EET 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 23:02 -0500, Andy Dills wrote:
> > Have you thought about enabling Squat indexes? I'd like to know how much
> > it would affect I/O and CPU usage in larger installations. CPU grows
> > (maybe a lot) but searches should be faster and use very little I/O as a
> > result.
>
> By CPU, do you mean local server (nfs client) CPU or netapp CPU (nfs
> server)?
>
> I'm guessing the former...

Yes, former.

> Local CPU is of little concern typically, as mail serving (filtering is
> handled elsewhere) is almost purely I/O.

Yes, but at least initial Squat index building is very CPU (and maybe
memory) hungry. :)

> However, I'm not sure how much value I would place on optimizing searches
> at this point...do users really do much of that? It seems to be
> potentially valuable yet underutilized.

Do you have a webmail? Thunderbird also uses server-side message body
searches. Outlook/Apple mail doesn't.

Anyway since Squat indexes are built only when doing body searches
enabling them wouldn't hurt for the rest of the users, although it would
increase disk space usage.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS has something