[Dovecot] Future enhancement of imap: sorting?

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Fri Mar 7 04:23:11 EET 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 20:59 -0500, Andy Dills wrote:
>
> > As nice as it is, it's still a personal solution. In my mind we need to
> > have standardized, server-side, MUA-independant sorting rules that get
> > invoked when a mailbox is checked. Thoughts?
>
> Filtering is a better name for this, took me a few paragraphs before I
> understood what you meant by sorting. :)

Heh, sorry about that. In my mind, sorting implies directing an object to
a location based on some arbitrary criteria, whereas filtering (in my
mind) implies rejecting or accepting based on some arbitrary criteria.

> You could already create a plugin that runs a command when it sees new
> messages in a mailbox. I'm not really interested in writing this
> feature..

I didn't mean to imply this as a request for functionality...it would be
worthless as a feature in dovecot without support in the IMAP protocol and
thus the MUAs. I was thinking more along the lines of a future enchanement
for the actual IMAP protocol, as this seems like something that should
have been addressed but wasn't, leading to an array of flawed solutions. I
assume you feel that this is beyond the scope of what IMAP should handle
natively? On one hand it feels like it is, but on the other hand it seems
like something in desperate need of standardization.

The idea for virtual folders based on search criteria is quite
interesting, by the way. How would you enable users to create them from
their client?

Thanks,
Andy

---