[Dovecot] Future enhancement of imap: sorting?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 7 04:29:31 EET 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 21:23 -0500, Andy Dills wrote:

> > You could already create a plugin that runs a command when it sees new
> > messages in a mailbox. I'm not really interested in writing this
> > feature..
>
> I didn't mean to imply this as a request for functionality...it would be
> worthless as a feature in dovecot without support in the IMAP protocol and
> thus the MUAs. I was thinking more along the lines of a future enchanement
> for the actual IMAP protocol, as this seems like something that should
> have been addressed but wasn't, leading to an array of flawed solutions. I
> assume you feel that this is beyond the scope of what IMAP should handle
> natively? On one hand it feels like it is, but on the other hand it seems
> like something in desperate need of standardization.

I think Sieve (+ ManageSieve) could already do all of this. It's just
normally meant to be used with MDA, but nothing would prevent from
running the script when IMAP server sees it for the first time.

> The idea for virtual folders based on search criteria is quite
> interesting, by the way. How would you enable users to create them from
> their client?

I'm just going to make it read the configuration from a file. How it
gets there is not my problem, at least not yet. :) So it'll probably get
some kind of a web configuration tool.

There do exist a couple of drafts related to this, but I think they're
all abandoned now.