[Dovecot] Squat performance

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 7 15:02:20 EET 2008

The initial building (and an occational compression) performance just
got a major boost. I knew there was a problem there, but I hadn't
realized it was this easy to fix:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/4445415da4ff

My 1,4 GB test lkml mbox can be now indexed in 7 minutes, doubling the
speed form earlier 14 minutes. I added some more benchmark results here:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS

So the initial Squat index building is about 2-3x slower than the
non-indexed search. I think that's pretty good. Also I think it means
that the non-indexed search code could be optimized more. :)

Maildir test shows that it indexes about 5 MB/CPUsec. My earlier tests
showed that it indexed 8-10 MB/CPUs when feeding data directly to it, so
3-5 MB/CPUs is going elsewhere, probably to message parsing and charset
conversions and such..