[Dovecot] Sorting by Sender Name

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Fri Mar 7 16:45:21 EET 2008

Dear Timo,

Posted this originally to the squirrelmail list but they said that
sorting is done server side so concluded I needed to talk to you:

=============

I feel there is an error in the logic of the sort by From column. If you
sort by this column, the messages are re-ordered in alphabetical order
using the *email address* as the sorted word.

However most people these days have their clients configured to include
a sender's name. For example: Daniel Smith <daniel at hotmail.com>.

In the message list the name 'Daniel Smith' is then shown, not the
email. When sorting by From it should use the name as the sorted
element and NOT the email address.

If my email was zippydan at yahoo.com, my emails, showing as 'Daniel Watts'
would come right near the bottom of the list rather than with the other
'D's near the top.

I know my email clients (Thunderbird and Outlook) both act like this -
using the name if available and if not THEN using (and displaying) the
email address. This seems to make the most sense to me.

Thanks as always for your attention.
Daniel