[Dovecot] Dovecot and kmail IMAP resources

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:03:56 EET 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 14:21:20 Bill Cole wrote:

> I suspect that the people there are more likely to have insight on
> what KMail is looking for from an IMAP server.

Just an update.  It seems that the order in which things are done when setting
things up is crucial.  At this point my client box can see the calendar and
my addressbook, though for some reason I am not getting the updates just as I
should.  Once all this is worked out and corrected I'll write up a how-to and
put it on my web space.

For Charles - I've used kmail for more than 6 years, and kmail with dovecot
for over two.  I've never had the slightest problem with imap mail.  I, too,
have read many stories, mostly about dimap.  Very many of them have turned
out to be pebcak.  I'm not saying it's perfect:  it's not.  Many things are
work-around for old code.  When akonadi is the backend things will be a great
deal better.  It's designed for the purpose from the start, whereas kmail's
current backend has just grown over several years and some of the original
developers are no longer around.

I depend heavily on kde-pim.  It suits me perfectly.  One version had a habit
of losing the addressbook for no obvious reason, but since it always had
backup copies it was more of an annoyance than show-stopper.  That's the only
time I've ever had any problems whatsoever.

Anne