[Dovecot] Dovecot and kmail IMAP resources

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:53:47 EET 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 14:21:20 Bill Cole wrote:
> The use of that phrase with that meaning is unique to KMail. There's
> no standard for implementing a calendar or address book on an IMAP
> server, so whatever KMail needs from an IMAP server in order to do
> whatever it is doing to present IMAP as a basis for those functions
> has to be specified by KMail. I suspect that KMail needs something
> more than a standard IMAP server, but maybe not. If KMail claims the
> ability to implement calender and address book functionality with any
> standard IMAP server, you have to look to KMail for an explanation of
> how they do it.

In case you're interested -

What appears to happen is that the calendar and addressbook that are created
to be the groupware resources are mailed to the client box as vcards (I can't
remember the correct name for the ical records).  On the client box the
receiving folder holds them as messages with that info in, and the
addressbook and calendar part of the pim translate them back into a normal
display of calendar and addressbook.  Neat.

Anne