[Dovecot] public folders fchown error

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 25 18:44:26 EET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 10:29 -0600, junk at mc1.mccarthy.ac wrote:
> Here are some examples... from what I can tell in google, dovecot is
> failing trying to change these files to the mail group dovecot is running
> under?  I've manually changed everything under these folders to be 777, as
> well as root.mail permissions, they just change back to being owned by the
> user, and then dovecot can't change them to mail... at least I think
> that's what's happening.
>
> dovecot: IMAP(admin):
> fchown(/home/admin/Mail/public/public/.SpamReport/dovecot-uidlist) failed:
> Operation not permitted

Dovecot tries to change the created dovecot-uidlist's group to the same
group as "dovecot-shared" file has. If its group is "mail", then:

> mail_privileged_group: mail

This isn't enough, because it grants access to mail group only while
dotlocking mboxes. Use mail_access_groups=mail instead. Or probably a
better idea would be to use a newly greated group instead of the mail
group to make sure your users don't get accidentally access to
unintended files.

(If you'd just want everyone to be able to read/write to the public
mailboxes, with v1.1 you could mark the dovecot-shared file 02666 and
Dovecot wouldn't try to change the group).