[Dovecot] xexec and dovecot 1.1

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Mar 25 20:20:46 EET 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 3/25/2008, Marc Perkel (marc at perkel.com) wrote:
>> So Charles - why is it that you've resisted the idea? it just seems
>> so natural to me.
>
> I've read your messages calling for much more than just 'smtp over
> imap' for the imap protocol, and didn't care much for the ideas,
> because an IMAP/POP server is an IMAP/POP server - not an SMTP server
> (or a file manager, or anything else).
>
> But when I was sitting here watching a large email I had just sent
> copying to the Sent folder, just minutes after reading your message -
> it  hit me that this would be one very real benefit to it...

Yes - my idea isn't for Dovecot to be an SMTP server. As you know IMAP
can move messages from the client to the server. My idea is that you add
the ability to move it to the server and then hand it off to a real SMTP
server for delivery. IMAP is just being used as a transport to upload
the message past various port blocks. Does this make sense?