[Dovecot] Inotify instance limit for user exceeded, disabling.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 5 15:23:40 EEST 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Anders wrote:

> Anders wrote:
>
>> What does the warning "Inotify instance limit for user exceeded,
>> disabling." mean, and how do I get rid of it? I assume that I have to
>> change a limit somewhere?
>
> Okay, reading the source has me think that this is an OS limit, so I
> increased /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

It says "instance limit", so I think the problem was
max_user_instances instead.

> Is there some way to calculate the upper limit? I imaging that each
> folder
> in each connection needs a watch?

They're added when IDLE command is run. Only one IDLE command can be
running at a time per each connection. With maildir it listens for two
directories. But there is only one instance created per process.

I guess you're using a single UID for all users? In that case the
upper limits are:

  - max_user_instances = max_mail_processes setting
  - max_user_watches = max_mail_processes setting*2