[Dovecot] Inotify instance limit for user exceeded, disabling.

Anders mail at flac.kalibalik.dk
Mon May 5 18:19:07 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> They're added when IDLE command is run. Only one IDLE command can be
> running at a time per each connection. With maildir it listens for two
> directories. But there is only one instance created per process.

So each process has one inotify instance with just two watches. I was
under the impression that subfolders were also watched, but after testing
a bit, it seems to not be true. Only the SELECTed box is watched, right?

What confused me was that Thunderbird will show new messages in several
folders, but I guess it must be using multiple connections, one per open
folder.

Is there some way to have clients watch all folders? Server-side filtering
loses a bit of its value when you are not notified of the new mail.

> I guess you're using a single UID for all users? In that case the
> upper limits are:
>
>   - max_user_instances = max_mail_processes setting
>   - max_user_watches = max_mail_processes setting*2

I think max_user_watches is per instance, so should that just be 2?

Cheers,
Anders.