[Dovecot] Inotify instance limit for user exceeded, disabling.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 5 18:25:49 EEST 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 6:19 PM, Anders wrote:

> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> They're added when IDLE command is run. Only one IDLE command can be
>> running at a time per each connection. With maildir it listens for
>> two
>> directories. But there is only one instance created per process.
>
> So each process has one inotify instance with just two watches. I was
> under the impression that subfolders were also watched, but after
> testing
> a bit, it seems to not be true. Only the SELECTed box is watched,
> right?

Right.

> Is there some way to have clients watch all folders? Server-side
> filtering
> loses a bit of its value when you are not notified of the new mail.

Clients typically issue STATUS command for all mailboxes every n
minutes. I've been thinking about having Dovecot issue STATUS events
automatically when mailboxes change, but last I checked most clients
just ignored them. There exists also a draft of a new IMAP extension
where clients can ask for those STATUS events from specified mailboxes.

>> I guess you're using a single UID for all users? In that case the
>> upper limits are:
>>
>>  - max_user_instances = max_mail_processes setting
>>  - max_user_watches = max_mail_processes setting*2
>
> I think max_user_watches is per instance, so should that just be 2?

So it seems.