[Dovecot] Couldn't init INBOX: Can't sync mailbox: Messages keep getting expunged

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 6 01:04:54 EEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 22:28 +0100, Ed W wrote:
> Ed W wrote:
> > I have also had one report from a customer who thought he had 600
> > messages to download (based on the feedback from OE), but his inbox
> > would only have had a couple of messages in it - not sure that this is
> > related though...
>
> Update: I have now had a fair number of users reporting that they have
> hundreds of messages in their inbox when accessing the mailbox via POP
> (and in fact they have hadly any)
>
> I have since dumped all the index files to see if this helps.  However,
> this has occurred after an upgrade from 1.0.8 to 1.1-rc4

Do these users use also IMAP? I assume this is reproducible for those
users? Could you send me their dovecot.index, dovecot.index.log and
dovecot-uidlist files and output of "ls cur/ new/"? Also post your
dovecot -n output?

I've done several optimizations to make POP3 use less disk I/O, but I
can't really think of what could have caused this breakage.