[Dovecot] A previously unreported lsub/list discrepancy in 1.1rc5 and earlier

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Tue May 6 04:20:06 EEST 2008

Not sure about 1.0, I don't run it anymore :) But a few users discovered
for a small issue that only affects a very small portion of my userbase
where instructional correction will suffice.  I guess I am reporting it
in the interest of getting it out there, and I can live with it if not
fixed but it might be an issue for some people.  I'm running through my
list of issues.  Basically, if a user has a valid namespace prefix set
such as mail/ (used to be required on old mail server but discouraged on
new mail client setups with dovecot), lsub/list do not show public
namespaces that the user has permission to via acl.  If the user removes
the namespace prefix, they can 'see' the public folders and subscribe.
Additionally if the user subscribes to a public folder then puts mail/
back in the prefix, the folders are no longer listed.   Not sure if
public folders should be affected by the requested prefix in this
manner, since they are not in the user's account.

With prefix set:
3 lsub "" "mail/*"
4 list "" "mail/%"
5 list "" "mail/%/%"

* OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2008-05-05 21:07:16
* LSUB () "/" "mail/INBOX"
* LSUB () "/" "mail/Sent Items"
* LSUB () "/" "mail/Drafts"
* LSUB () "/" "mail/Junk E-mail"
* LSUB () "/" "mail/Sent"
* LSUB () "/" "mail/Trash"
3 OK Lsub completed.
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/Sent Items"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/Junk E-mail"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "mail/Trash"
4 OK List completed.
5 OK List completed.

Without prefix set:
3 lsub "" "*"
4 list "" "%"
5 list "" "%/%"

* OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2008-05-05 21:07:49
* LSUB () "/" "INBOX"
* LSUB () "/" "Sent Items"
* LSUB () "/" "Drafts"
* LSUB () "/" "Junk E-mail"
* LSUB () "/" "Sent"
* LSUB () "/" "Trash"
3 OK Lsub completed.
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Sent Items"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Junk E-mail"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX"
4 OK List completed.
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "#shared/be"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "#shared/me"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "#shared/cee"
5 OK List completed.