[Dovecot] A previously unreported lsub/list discrepancy in 1.1rc5 and earlier

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 6 04:25:16 EEST 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 4:20 AM, Adam McDougall wrote:

> Not sure about 1.0, I don't run it anymore :) But a few users
> discovered for a small issue that only affects a very small portion
> of my userbase where instructional correction will suffice.  I guess
> I am reporting it in the interest of getting it out there, and I can
> live with it if not fixed but it might be an issue for some people.
> I'm running through my list of issues.  Basically, if a user has a
> valid namespace prefix set such as mail/ (used to be required on old
> mail server but discouraged on new mail client setups with dovecot),
> lsub/list do not show public namespaces that the user has permission
> to via acl.  If the user removes the namespace prefix, they can
> 'see' the public folders and subscribe.  Additionally if the user
> subscribes to a public folder then puts mail/ back in the prefix,
> the folders are no longer listed.   Not sure if public folders
> should be affected by the requested prefix in this manner, since
> they are not in the user's account.
>
> With prefix set:
> 3 lsub "" "mail/*"
> 4 list "" "mail/%"
> 5 list "" "mail/%/%"

The client wants to list only maiboxes under mail/.

> * LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "#shared/be"

mail/% doesn't match #shared/*, so these don't get returned.

So this is really a problem with using those namespace prefixes on
clients. I've always wondered how clients would handle shared
mailboxes when they're set. Now I know: They don't. :)

You could work around this by creating a new "mail/#shared/" namespace.