[Dovecot] Manual thread breaking from Thunderbird

Christian Jaeger christian at jaeger.mine.nu
Wed May 7 16:36:24 EEST 2008

rosenfield.albert at gmail.com wrote:
> Christian Jaeger wrote:
>
>>  I'm looking for a way to manually break threads apart when independent
>> threads are mixed up, mostly by users which aren't aware that they should
>> not be replying to existing threads when starting a new one.
>>

> Sounds like a great idea!
>
> I'm curious though, how do convince your Thunderbird and Dovecot to
> work like Gmail and keep everything threaded in the same folder in the
> first place?

I'm not sure whether I understand you correctly: are you asking how to
turn on threading in Thunderbird? (That would be in the menu View ->
Sort by -> Threaded.) But that's Thunderbird's doing, Dovecot isn't
really involved afaik, I assume Thunderbird will look at the message-id
and in-reply-to headers of the mails.

Or are you asking about the Gmail feature of not using subfolders but
keep everything in the same place and only use search to find your
stuff? (Well, I haven't used Gmail much, one of the reason being that
when I tried it I thought how would you keep mailing lists separated
sanely? (Without having to create separate custom queries for each of
them or so.))

Christian.