[Dovecot] Manual thread breaking from Thunderbird

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Wed May 7 17:21:40 EEST 2008

Christian Jaeger wrote:
> rosenfield.albert at gmail.com wrote:
>> Christian Jaeger wrote:
>>
>>>  I'm looking for a way to manually break threads apart when independent
>>> threads are mixed up, mostly by users which aren't aware that they
>>> should
>>> not be replying to existing threads when starting a new one.
>>>

>> Sounds like a great idea!
>>
>> I'm curious though, how do convince your Thunderbird and Dovecot to
>> work like Gmail and keep everything threaded in the same folder in the
>> first place?
>>

> I'm not sure whether I understand you correctly: are you asking how to
> turn on threading in Thunderbird? (That would be in the menu View ->
> Sort by -> Threaded.) But that's Thunderbird's doing, Dovecot isn't
> really involved afaik, I assume Thunderbird will look at the
> message-id and in-reply-to headers of the mails.

and References and few other heuristics.

> Or are you asking about the Gmail feature of not using subfolders but
> keep everything in the same place and only use search to find your stuff?

I guess that's what he means. In short, how to have the same message
appear in different folder (be them "virtual" or not). and I guess, if
you delete a message, you no more see it in the said folders.

I believe the right place for this feature is in the MUA (thunderbird)
to avoid downloading the same message N times.