[Dovecot] Manual thread breaking from Thunderbird

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed May 7 20:42:18 EEST 2008

At 5:54 PM +0200 5/7/08, rosenfield.albert at gmail.com wrote:
>Bill Cole:
[in regards to making TBird and Dovecot work like GMail]
>>  Dovecot isn't really a player in that question, which is really about how
>>  to make TBird do what you want it to do with messages and present
>>  them in a particular organizational style.
>
>Well, Dovecot "deliver" puts the messages in place, and you want
>incoming messages to land in the same folder as the conversation it is
>already is in, and also have other virtual labels applied depending on
>filter rules (eg dovecot-ml emails should have the "dovecot" label
>applied).

Yes, but 'deliver' does not itself make those decisions. If you want
mail delivered anywhere other than INBOX, you need to either call
deliver with a -m argument or use a plugin (e.g. sieve) and as far as
I can tell, only the sieve plugin can set IMAP message flags on
delivery. As for 'virtual labels,' I assume you are referring to
TBird's 'Tags' which map loosely to IMAP custom message flags,
(a.k.a. keywords.) The looseness is that TBird seems to ignore
keywords that it has not been explicitly configured to show, so if
sieve does add a keyword to a message, it has to be one known to
TBird in order to be used by TBird.

There has to be user-specific and MUA-specific configuration for the
usage model you seem to want. There really isn't much more that a
LDA/IMAP combination can do to support a GMail-like presentation,
that has to be done by the MUA, i.e TBird.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com