[Dovecot] Manual thread breaking from Thunderbird

rosenfield.albert at gmail.com rosenfield.albert at gmail.com
Wed May 7 21:13:10 EEST 2008

> I've a test account which I've used a couple of times, but haven't
> bothered too much with it.

Guess it's not for everyone.

(Personally, I dislike that my email is stored at Googleplex, and that
I cannot fiddle with the server setup.  Otherwise, it's pretty darn
great.)

>  > > With Dovecot it would be done by:
>  > >
>  > >  mailboxes = INBOX "Sent Messages"
>  > >  search = INTHREAD REFERENCES MAILBOX INBOX
> Yes, as long as at least one message in the thread exists in INBOX
> (the "MAILBOX INBOX" search term).

So the above "mailboxes=, search=" is not a Dovecot configuration
option but a search performed by an IMAP client, right..  (learning
mode!)

> I'm not sure what you mean.

I just misunderstood something basic (see above).

> There are still different mailboxes. This
>  just creates virtual mailboxes on top of
> the existing ones.

"Creates" as in "the client has to keep track of them client-side, the
server knows nothing about them", right?

> [INTHREAD] just makes the search match all messages in a thread if at least
> one message in the thread matches the search terms.

Niice..  Can an unmodified MUA be expected to correctly fetch the
individual messages found with INTHREAD?  Or does it need to "switch
folders" or perform other IMAP magic.