[Dovecot] Manual thread breaking from Thunderbird

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 7 21:20:18 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 20:13 +0200, rosenfield.albert at gmail.com wrote:
> >  > > With Dovecot it would be done by:
> >  > >
> >  > >  mailboxes = INBOX "Sent Messages"
> >  > >  search = INTHREAD REFERENCES MAILBOX INBOX
> > Yes, as long as at least one message in the thread exists in INBOX
> > (the "MAILBOX INBOX" search term).
>
> So the above "mailboxes=, search=" is not a Dovecot configuration
> option but a search performed by an IMAP client, right..  (learning
> mode!)

No, I did meant that they were Dovecot configuration options that
describe a single virtual mailbox (although the actual configuration
format is currently a bit different).

> > There are still different mailboxes. This
> >  just creates virtual mailboxes on top of
> > the existing ones.
>
> "Creates" as in "the client has to keep track of them client-side, the
> server knows nothing about them", right?

Clients could of course do this also, but I can't really do anything
about them.

> > [INTHREAD] just makes the search match all messages in a thread if at least
> > one message in the thread matches the search terms.
>
> Niice..  Can an unmodified MUA be expected to correctly fetch the
> individual messages found with INTHREAD?  Or does it need to "switch
> folders" or perform other IMAP magic.

The configured virtual mailbox would look exactly like a normal mailbox
to the client.