[Dovecot] ipv6 woes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 9 20:33:14 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 10:18 -0700, Jason Fesler wrote:
> >> May  8 20:53:11 goat dovecot: Fatal: imap-login: Can't load certificate
> >> file /www/certs/mail.gigo.com.cert: error:02001018:system
> >> library:fopen:Too many open files
> >
> > But this (or some other error) didn't happen immediately?
>
> Correct.  It happened after some number of connection.  Using "lsof", I
> could not see any that limits were being realistically hit, either.

That error happens at startup, and there should be a fixed number of fds
open at that time. Only reason I can think of is if master process leaks
some fds to login process. You could verify this by building Dovecot
with configure --enable-debug. Then it checks fd leaks at startup, and
logs an error and dies if there are any.

> Unfortunately I have just one ipv6 freebsd 7 machine to work with :-( and
> mail is supposed to be a production service.  I'll have another
> opportunity to do more on June 14, when downtime is scheduled for
> another location.  At that time I'll get that location's OS updated, onto
> ipv6, and since it is just two (flexible) people, I'll have more room to
> play.

It would be possible to also install a test installation elsewhere
(configure --prefix=/tmp/dovecot-test) and run it on different ports.