[Dovecot] Dovecot/postfix to do 'copy to sent' ?

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Mon May 12 12:01:08 EEST 2008

Ed W wrote:

>>> Personally I don't like fake "senderbcc" address for every user.
>>> This my
>>> catch a lots of spam in "sent" folders.
>>
>> you are confusing sender bcc with virtual aliases.
>

> What about spam with a faked FROM address which seems to be from a
> local user?  I think the point is that this strategy can cause a copy
> of the spam to end up being added as a sent item.

there are two cases:
- you enforce authentication and sender-login match. in this case, you
detect forgeries
- you don't. in this case, you can't detect forgeries. and a header
won't help. the whole approach breaks.

> The extra header field was being added presumably to identify real
> sent mail from faked spam and hence only add real sent messages to the
> sent folder?

and how do you add a header only to "really" sent mail? and anyway, how
do you deliver a _copy_? remember that this is outgoing mail and won't
naturally go through dovecot.