[Dovecot] Automounted home dirs not working

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu May 15 18:25:47 EEST 2008

At 10:29 AM -0400 5/15/08, Roy McMorran wrote:
>Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>
>>But it never succeeds on first try?
>
>Nope.
>
>>If you enable more verbosity on automountd (-v -T?) does it
>>correctly log all the chdir attempts?
>>
>>Anyway I've really no idea why it wouldn't work. Maybe try asking
>>in some Solaris forums/lists if they can think of some reason.
>>
>I've concluded it is some problem with this particular server.  I
>build Dovecot on another Solaris 10 box, and over there the chdir to
>an automounted home directory works as expected every time.  I guess
>I'll reinstall the OS on my test server now :-(
>
>It's definitely not a Dovecot problem, so sorry for the noise on the
>list.  Thanks for all your help.

One thing you might want to look at before reinstalling completely is
your NFS config on both sides and the controls resident in the
network in between. With Solaris 10, you particularly want to make
sure that your client system is not trying to use NFS over TCP across
a network that interferes with it or to a server that doesn't support
it properly. (for definitions of "properly" that are based in the
behavior of Solaris 10 as a client...)

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com