[Dovecot] imap-login processes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 16 19:17:19 EEST 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 6:56 PM, Bryan Polk wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 2008, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> How many imap processes do you have at that time? Each SSL connection
>> uses up one imap-login process.
>>
>> One sure way to fix this would be to change to high-performance
>> mode as
>> described by http://wiki.dovecot.org/LoginProcess
>>

> Currently 74 imap processes, 336 imap-login processes.

It would help to know what these extra processes are doing.
Unfortunately there's no simple way to do that.. Maybe writing a
script that trusses the processes for a few seconds and then seeing
what it shows?

Another way would be to try if LINUX_PROCTITLE_HACK works also with
Solaris. You can remove the comments around #define from src/lib/
process-title.c and then set verbose_proctitle=yes. This should first
be tested though, because if it doesn't work it could break badly. If
it does work, you should at least see IP addresses for each process
that has a connected client and also TLS if SSL/TLS is being used. It
could probably also include username for SSL proxies.

> I tried switching to high-performance mode yesterday.. It seemed to
> end up with sort of the same results, though harder to diagnose.
> Each process I guess ended up hitting the login_process_size = 64
> max and then stopped responding.

If it hits that limit, it gets killed by signal 9 by the kernel (and
that gets logged). It's also a good idea to then increase it to
something like 256. But I can't see why it would stop responding then.