[Dovecot] Dovecot or postfix Quota

Alexander Prinsier dovecot at aphexer.mailhaven.com
Thu May 22 01:21:55 EEST 2008

Johannes Berg wrote:
>> Instead I think it's a cleaner (and more logical) way to let the mail
>> delivery agent take care of this, hence by deliver from dovecot.
>
> Any self-respecting mail administrator should avoid sending bounces like
> the plague, hence the need to check whatever you possibly can during the
> smtp transaction. Quota certainly ought to be checkable, and if you then
> accept a few mails too many due to race conditions I guess you don't
> really care.

I agree that bounces should be minimized. Still the most logical
solution would be that the MTA asks the MDA about the quota status.

However I don't know any way to let postfix ask the MDA about quota
status. Even bypassing the MDA, do you know of any software that plugs
into postfix that can check filesystem quota's?

I need to use filesystem quota's because I also need to set a group
quota (which is not only used for email, also for other files).

Alexander