[Dovecot] Multiple private namespace question

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Sat May 24 23:33:25 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> But I don't think there are any problems if you make INBOX. namespace
> the hidden one. Most clients don't care about namespaces.

Hi Timo, thanks for the reply - I understand what you're saying. Can you
theorize what will happen to the already configured/subscribed users
(Thunderbird) whose tree looks like:

   INBOX
     |_ Sent
     |_ Drafts

...when I would change the default namespace around and make the empty
prefix inbox=yes? Would everything suddenly become "flat" on them and
cause confusion? Ala:

   INBOX
   Sent
   Drafts

Most Thunderbird instances already configured say "INBOX." under the
setting of '(IMAP Account) -> Server Settings -> Advanced -> Personal
Namespace'; I think this value is filled in automatically by Thunderbird
the first time you configure the account and it queries the server and
received the namespace advertisement.

Would it be correct to assume that all these existing users would be
fine (because of the hidden INBOX prefix namespace, compatibility mode),
and only new users would see a flat hierarchy when setting up Thunderbird?

Many thanks,
-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer