[Dovecot] Multiple private namespace question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 24 18:18:39 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 11:35 -0700, Troy Engel wrote:
> Charles Marcus wrote:
> > On 5/23/2008, Troy Engel (tengel at fluid.com) wrote:
> >> Can I add a second hidden namespace with no prefix:
> >
> > Certainly...
> >
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces
>
> See, the wiki page has it backwards though of the way I need to do it;
> the empty prefix namespace is the inbox = yes, not the hidden = yes. I'm
> giving pause because I can't find examples of anyone doing it the other
> way around; empty prefix, hidden = yes as NOT the default namespace
> (inbox = yes).

You can't really hide the empty namespace, because you want all clients
to be able to list root mailboxes. But with some clients you'd want the
LIST reply to list only INBOX (which has children) and with others you'd
want it to list all mailboxes and INBOX without children. There's no way
Dovecot could know which one the client wants.

But I don't think there are any problems if you make INBOX. namespace
the hidden one. Most clients don't care about namespaces.