[Dovecot] no bookeeping using public folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 25 14:51:10 EEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 09:17 +0200, Claude Frantz wrote:

> The problem, while using Thunderbird: The "read only" user can delete
> messages or mark then read. But after a new session, all the messages
> are still "new". Of course, only "baratin" is the owner.
>
> The problem, while using mutt and IMAP: mutt refuse to change any flag
> because the folder is "read only". Of course, this is correct.
>
> My question: Why is no bookkeeping maintained for "other" users,
> although every one has his/her own control and index structure ?

So you'd want all users to be able to have their own private flags? If
you create dovecot-shared file, the seen flag will be private, but
others will still be shared. This is currently hard coded, but it's
pretty easy to change from sources if you really want to:

src/lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.c around line 544:

		mbox->private_flags_mask = MAIL_SEEN;

Change that to:

		mbox->private_flags_mask = MAIL_FLAGS_MASK;