[Dovecot] no bookeeping using public folders

Claude Frantz claude at pc0312b.rz.unibw-muenchen.de
Thu May 29 11:21:51 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> The problem, while using Thunderbird: The "read only" user can delete
>> messages or mark then read. But after a new session, all the messages
>> are still "new". Of course, only "baratin" is the owner.

> So you'd want all users to be able to have their own private flags?

The "Seen" flag as private is sufficient here.

> If
> you create dovecot-shared file, the seen flag will be private, but
> others will still be shared. This is currently hard coded, but it's
> pretty easy to change from sources if you really want to:

[....]

Many thanks, Timo, for this interesting information. But, as stated
above, the "Seen" flag is sufficient and this is the default.

The strange behaviour seems to be probably related to Thunderbird. When
opening the connection to the public shared folder, Thunderbird shows
the number of ALL messages in the folder, in the window in which one the
folders related to the accounts are displayed. Usually only the number
of unread messages is displayed here. In the window showing the subject,
sender, etc... of the messages, only the unread messages are displayed
when using the options "View, Threads, Unread". Therefore, Thunderbird
knowns about what has been read. But I ignore if Thunderbird is using an
own bookkeeping or if this information comes from the server.

In the related "dovecot-keywords" file, there is only one line which
contains "0 unknown-0". This seems strange to me.

Please explain me, where the "private seen flag" is located. I think, it
cannot be in "dovecot-uidlist" because the second entry in every line is
the filename in the folder where the message file is located, and the
"only reading" user is not the owner of this file. Are I'm right ?

I think, I have to investigate further.

Many thanks again,
Claude