[Dovecot] 1.1rc5 Panic: mailbox-tree.c: line 171 (mailbox_tree_iterate_set_next_node)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 25 20:53:11 EEST 2008

On May 25, 2008, at 8:30 PM, Jeffrey Rice wrote:

> I am seeing this error from clients:
>
> May 25 11:01:54 finity dovecot: Panic: IMAP(xxx at here.org): file
> mailbox-tree.c: line 171 (mailbox_tree_iterate_set_next_node):
> assertion failed: (len <= ctx->parent_pos)

Any idea how to reproduce this? Could you find out the exact LSUB
command that causes this? For example enable rawlog for the user:  http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog

Also send me the user's subscriptions file. It most likely has to do
with what kind of a mailbox hierarchy is used..

> I commented that out and put in:
>
> mail_access_groups = vmail
> mail_privileged_group = vmail
>
> The documentation on these parameters is a bit light, so I'm not
> sure which (or both) to use.  Can someone clarify?  All the maildirs
> are owned by group vmail.

You shouldn't need the above settings at all.

>  userdb:
>    driver: static
>    args: uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/home/vmail/%u/home

I assume gid=5000 is the vmail? That already gives vmail group access
to the process.