[Dovecot] 1.1rc5 Panic: mailbox-tree.c: line 171 (mailbox_tree_iterate_set_next_node)

Jeffrey Rice python at finity.org
Sun May 25 21:23:05 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On May 25, 2008, at 8:30 PM, Jeffrey Rice wrote:
>
>> I am seeing this error from clients:
>>
>> May 25 11:01:54 finity dovecot: Panic: IMAP(xxx at here.org): file
>> mailbox-tree.c: line 171 (mailbox_tree_iterate_set_next_node):
>> assertion failed: (len <= ctx->parent_pos)

The command in question seems to be:
3 lsub "" "*"

## subscriptions
Phil's Email.Beekeeping
Phil's Email.Family Mail
Phil's Email.Kaiperm Credit Union
Phil's Email.Kiva
Phil's Email.Rob and Jill
INBOX.Sent
INBOX.Trash
INBOX.Drafts
INBOX.Children International
Phil's Email
Sent
Drafts
Phil's Email.Kalamazoo College
Phil's Email.New York Times
Phil's Email.True Majority
Trash
.Sent.Sent-Dec-2006
.Sent.Sent-Jan-2007
.Sent.Sent-Feb-2007
.Sent.Sent-Mar-2007
Phil's Email.PayPal
Phil's Email.Receipts
Phil's Email.Amazon
Phil's Email.Ancestry
Sent.Sent-Dec-2007
##EOF

Could it be the mailboxes with the dot prefix?  I have another user who
does not generate a crash with the same command, and does not have any
such mailboxes.
>> I commented that out and put in:
>>
>> mail_access_groups = vmail
>> mail_privileged_group = vmail
>>
>> The documentation on these parameters is a bit light, so I'm not sure
>> which (or both) to use.  Can someone clarify?  All the maildirs are
>> owned by group vmail.
>
> You shouldn't need the above settings at all.

OK, so the gid parameter below will give dovecot rw access to the
maildirs owned by vmail?
>>  userdb:
>>    driver: static
>>    args: uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/home/vmail/%u/home
>
> I assume gid=5000 is the vmail? That already gives vmail group access
> to the process.

Yes.  I did wonder if I had an error here, because home=/home/vmail/%u.
I don't know where the last "/home" came from.  Removing it didn't seem
to change the error.

Jeff