[Dovecot] Bug: subscriptions file does not take on the same perms as dovecot-shared

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 26 18:27:57 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 01:15 +1000, Damon Atkins wrote:
> login_user: nobody
> mail_location: maildir:~/.Maildir
> namespace:
>   type: private
>   separator: /
>   inbox: yes
>   list: yes
>   subscriptions: yes
> namespace:
>   type: public
>   separator: /
>   prefix: ~XX-Shared/
>   location: maildir:/export/home/XX/.Maildir
>   list: yes
>   subscriptions: yes
> auth default:
>   passdb:
>     driver: pam
>   userdb:
>     driver: passwd
>

> I tried the subscription=no, the mail client Thunderbird no longer lists the ~XX-Shared folder

Because then it uses the user's own subscriptions file then where
XX-Shared isn't subscribed.

> If subscription=no (and I get it working this way) if someone renames a folder, does everyone see the newly renamed folders?

It doesn't change the subscribed mailbox name.

> The above was working well except for subscriptions file perms being changed, when the file is updated.
>
> The aim is for ~XX-Shared/ to be listed as just another folder for those who have access and all of its sub folders.

To me this sounds like it would be better handled by configuring
Thunderbird to not use subscriptions at all. Then all mailboxes are
always listed.

But I think you could work around this problem by adding umask=022 to
dovecot.conf. Some other files will probably then be group and
world-readable as well.