[Dovecot] Sieve plugin changes 'To' header on redirect

Patrick Nagel patrick.nagel at star-group.net
Tue May 27 07:07:04 EEST 2008

Hi,

I'm a bit confused by the fact that the 'To' header is being modified by sieve
when a message is being redirected.

RFC3028 states in chapter 4.3:
>   The "redirect" action is used to send the message to another user at
>   a supplied address, as a mail forwarding feature does.  The
>   "redirect" action makes no changes to the message body or existing
>   headers, but it may add new headers.  The "redirect" modifies the
>   envelope recipient.
(see http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3028.txt)

The situation here is as follows:

I'm sending a mail to "city at company.net" (To: ...), which is being delivered
to "city at city.company.net" (Delivered-To: ...).

User city has the following sieve script:
  redirect "other at company.net";
  keep;

One would expect, that the 'To:' header is identical in both mails, but
instead I get something like this:

Mail in 'city' mailbox:
> To: city at company.net
> Subject: test mail

(Redirected) Mail in 'other' mailbox:
> To: city at city.company.net
> Subject: test mail

It seems as if sieve uses the 'Delivered-To' header as the 'To' header in the
redirected mail - which is not what I need.

Am I misunderstanding something here, or does dovecot's sieve plugin not act
according to the RFC?

Patrick.

--
STAR Software (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.            http://www.star-group.net/
Phone:    +86 (21) 5427 7799 x 826             Fax:   +86 (21) 6485 0071

PGP key:         https://stshacom1.star-china.net/keys/patrick_nagel.asc
Fingerprint:           E09A D65E 855F B334 E5C3 5386 EF23 20FC E883 A005