[Dovecot] Dovecot and Bogofilter

Matthias-Christian Ott ott at mirix.org
Tue Nov 11 18:49:59 EET 2008

Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
>
>>> If you want something and Dovecot's deliver doesn't fit your needs,
>>> consider maildrop, <http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/>
>>
>> Looks a bit bloated to me.
>
> I'm not sure if I missed that part about the shell script, someone
> suggested.
>
> You could use something like:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> bogofilter | dovecot-deliver "$@"
>
> replacing the orginal dovecot-deliver in the conf.
> If bogofilter does not support to pipe the message through, there will be
> other ways.
>
> Besides that you have just one additional exec() (the shell) for each
> delivery and you already inject the modified message to deliver. Or did I
> misunderstood the problem, and you want the antispam to change the
> message, when a mail is copied into / out of the SPAM folder via IMAP?

Yes, but currently it doesn't matter, because I decided to not use
spam filtering at the moment. Mutt just sucks and all this crappy mail
software that's still around. I can't see this from a pragmatic point
of view anymore, it's so fucked up.

It just annoys me, I'll keep my mail server at low traffic and avoid to
use all these things. This whole issue just showed me yet another time
that UNIX is really dead and forgotten. I have better things to do than
just configuring my computers, finding workarounds etc. I wish we could
somehow turn the clocks back 30 years and do all this crap right. In
my opinion the whole software industry (including the Free Software
community which degenerated into a periphery position) is just a bloated
bubble that will disastrously collapse at some point of time. I'm yet
another time glad that I don't have to work in this business.

So I think we can regard this issue as resolved.

Sorry for annoying you with my pessimistic opinion about software, but it
just bothers that after nearly four centuries of UNIX that nobody can get
simple tasks like mail delivery right (Yes, I know there are workarounds,
but there are tons of magazines that deal with workarounds for some big
proprietary operating system and it's still pain to use it).

> Bye,
>
> - -- Steffen Kaiser

Regards,
Matthias-Christian