[Dovecot] Occasional messages cause Thunderbird to loop

Allen Belletti allen at isye.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 11 19:52:22 EET 2008

For the last four weeks or so, I have been getting very occasional
reports of "stuck" messages from three users of my mail server.  When
this occurs, Thunderbird's status display in the bottom left will
alternate rapidly between "Opening folder" and "Checking mail server
capabilities", and will never display the message.

I'm not sure if this is something which crept into a recent release of
Dovecot, or a problem with T'bird, or something else entirely.  I had
suspected corrupt messages the first time or two, and was once able to
copy such a message into my own "Maildir/cur" directory and have it fail
for me.  Since then I've not been able to replicate this feat.  I also
thought that it might have been the Dovecot indices becoming corrupt but
today I tried purging them for an affected user, and the problem still
showed up.  In addition, for the first time today that user reported a
message which originally (as of 6 Nov. 2008) worked fine but today
demonstrates the issue.

If anyone has seen anything like this or has suggestions to try, please
let me know.  If necessary I can go to full debug-logging with Dovecot
but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible :)

Thanks,
Allen

--
Allen Belletti